The Unseen Realm, by Dr. Michael S. Heiser, is set to release on September 1. Dr. Heiser has outlined the core ideas of The Unseen Realm to give you a glimpse as to what the book is and is not. Check it out.
Note: this post was adapted from from this blog post, originally posted on Dr. Heiser’s personal blog.
First Things: What the Book is and is Not
This is not a book about angels and demons, though the supernatural characters of the Bible figure heavily into the material. Rather, the book:
- Presents the mosaic of biblical theology from the perspective of ancient Israelite / first century Jewish writers predisposed to a supernaturalist worldview, with an eye toward how the intersection of the unseen world with our world affects how we understand the plan of God and our destiny as believers.
- Establishes the pieces of that mosaic by means of peer-reviewed research, and makes the conclusions of that research readable and comprehensible.
The above is the (just over) thirty-second explanation of the book.
Core Ideas in the Unseen Realm
- Divine council
- God’s family; God’s administration
- God desires his divine and human imagers to together enjoy his presence, and he theirs.
- God desires his divine and human imagers to obediently administer his affairs in their respective realms.
- Divine imaging
- What it is; its intrinsic meaning
- Free-will rebellions by God’s imagers
- divine and human rebellion, leading to council expulsion and loss of human terrestrial immortality (=death)
- divine rebellion that leads to (not causes) human corruption
Genesis 11:1-9 / Deut. 32:8-9
- Human rebellion that leads to (not causes) divine corruption
- Edenic Cost/ Loss
- Halted the spread of Eden to all the earth (i.e., earth’s good but imperfect state not made Edenic; “chaos” not perfected)
- Human immortality in God’s Edenic world
- Harmony between the seen and unseen realms / divine imagers
- Human membership in God’s home / administration (his council)
- Reversing the Effects of Free-Will Rebellions
Eden / Genesis 3
- Divine presence returning to earth to dwell with God’s elect people
- election is not a synonym for salvation
- This is where the idea of restoring a divine, earthly kingdom must begin
- Overcome the power of the original rebel (lord of the death); restore human immortality in God’s Edenic world
- Eradicate the hostile seed that arose because of the rebellion of the sons of God, which will stand against kingdom restoration
- Restrain the spread of evil catalyzed by this event
- Jewish theology of human depravity
- Galatians 3:19ff. and the Law
Genesis 11 / Deut 32:8-9
- Bless the nations that were disinherited
- Claim human council members / believers from among the disinherited nations
- Reclaim those nations under the authority of new sons of God (believers)
- Destroy the gods of the nations who became rebellious and corrupt
- Ultimate Source for All These Points
- Covenant maker (Word; Gen 15)
- Law giver (Gal. 3:19 et al)
- Key to secret messianic plan of redemption
- Gospel to Gentiles / Pentecost
- Our resurrection
- Our perfect imager
- Our brother-presenter in the council (Heb 2)
- Judge of the gods at Day of the Lord